From: Josh Glover [mailto:jmglov@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 9:10 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: RE: Off-Topic Rant on ./, KDE, et al. (was: Re: CD-ROM drive)

Quoting Jim Breen <jwb@example.com>:

>>> and as for Noah Webster, well, ... I don't care.
>>> I just don't like typing "u" where I don't have to.
>>> dont want to wear out my right index finger
>>> unneccessarily early, you know.
>
> No-one forces you to do that. Just don't accuse those of
> us who go on spelling the way we always have of anti-
> American practices.

As an American who prefers the British (or, according to
me, at least, correct) English spellings, I can assure you
that there is nothing anti- or even un-American about
spelling according to the Oxford English Dictionary. Noah
Webster's arbitrary decision is supported by some, ignored
by others, and actually disliked by some (me), but his
spellings have become one standard for English spelling,
one that is usually used by Americans. Compare this to the
emacs vs. vi, Gnome vs. KDE, or FSF vs. OSI debates. Both
choices do the same things, both are valid, both are
preferred by some people and detested by others. In short,
chose a spelling standard and apply it consistantly.

"No segfault, no problem."

Josh Glover
jmglov@example.com

Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June 15 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae
Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, July 14 13:30-