RE: Off-Topic Rant on ./, KDE, et al. (was: Re: CD-ROM drive)

 Scott Stone <SStone@example.com> opined:

>> well, there are many non-American English types who *are* anti-American
>> English types :)

Well, a certain amount of, er, irritation is perhaps inevitable,
especially since certain packages by certain suppliers have been known
to be bloodymindedly inflexible when it comes to spelling, etc.

>> and as for Noah Webster, well, ... I don't care.  I just don't like typing
>> "u" where I don't have to.  dont want to wear out my right index finger
>> unneccessarily early, you know.

No-one forces you to do that. Just don't accuse those of us who go on
spelling the way we always have of anti-American practices.

Remember the line under "BUGS" in the olde Unix spell utility:

BUGS

	British spelling was done by an American.

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of