From: jwb@example.com [mailto:jwb@example.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2001 11:38 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: RE: Off-Topic Rant on ./, KDE, et al. (was: Re: CD-ROM drive)

Scott Stone <SStone@example.com> ranted:

>> good point.  Even if you're one of the anti-American English types,

Hmmm. No, I'm a non-American English type. That doesn't make me
anti-American, although some Godzonians can't tell the two apart.

>> and like
>> putting extraneous "U"s in words that shouldn't have one (color, armor,
>> etc...),

Tsk, tsk. The chronology is all wrong. It was the idiosyncratic Noah
Webster and his early 19th C  spelling book and later dictionary which
led to the American spelling style. The rest of us just went on spelling
things the way we always did. Nothing extraneous is added.

A bit like calling someone who has used Unix since 1980 "anti-Microsoft"
who "refuses to use Windows".

[PS; Noah tried to make people write "picnick", "panick", etc. but that was

too much for most Godzonians.]

--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of

Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June 15 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae
Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, July 14 13:30-