Re: Partition size

Quoting Liton <leyton@example.com>:

> What is the best size for a swap partition? In the manual
> book that I have says 64 MB. Does it always have to be 64
> MB?

Here's your freebie:

A good rule of thumb to use when calculating the size of
your swap partition is to take the amount of physical
memory you have (RAM), and multiply by two. Use the
following equation:

s = 2r

where s == the size, in whatever unit you prefer, and r ==
the amount of physical memory you have.

Now, the more pressing issue. Are you familiar with the
RTFM program? It is a great tool for learning how to use
Linux. Here is all you have to do:

ln -s /usr/bin/man /usr/bin/rtfm

Now, anytime you have a question about a program,
say "echo", for example, type:

rtfm echo

into the nearest text (or X, RTFM works under X now!)
console.

Another really good tool is grep. Use it like so. When you
have a really general question that you want to post to
this list, and you just don't feel like using RTFM, try:

cat [keywords in your question] | grep "question that is
not in the RTFM database"

For a little enlightenment (actually, AfterStep is a better
window mangler, in my opinion),

$ yes

means: ($ is the old-school prompt), and yes is a program
that, according to RTFM, does the following:

NAME
   yes - output a string repeatedly until killed
SYNOPSIS
   yes [OPTION]... [STRING]...

It turns out, after some further reading, that the only two
options that yes takes both disable it: --help and --
version, which print something and exit. You see, yes just
prints strings. So, the following:

:; yes RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility

just prints:

RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility
RTFM is a powerful and user-friendly utility

and so on, until you hit Ctrl-C or kill yes from another
terminal, or Ctrl-Z it, or reboot your system...

Happy computing!

"No segfault, no problem."

Josh Glover
jmglov@example.com