Re: Partition size

Liton,

--- Liton <leyton@example.com> wrote:
> What is the best size for a swap partition?
> In the manual book that I have says 64 MB.
> Does it always have to be 64 MB?

That is out of date. That size limit was removed
with the 2.2 kernel, as I recall.
My swap partition is about 256MB now, same
size as my RAM.

The 2.4 kernel has problems reclaiming swap
pages, so it is better to have a two or
three times the size of physical RAM. But
this problem will likely be fixed before too
long.

The big RAM gobbler is running a big
compilation, which can easily go over 300 MB
with gcc. So the total of RAM+swap should
be at least this big. But if you do this often,
you will want real RAM, otherwise you will have
to run it overnight :-)

> Liton

Jake