Re: Using older libraries

On 31 May 2001, SL Baur wrote:

> Look for a file called compat-libs-5.2-2.i386.rpm and install it.

  The RedHat 7.1 discs (1,2) that I have only contain the following:

./RedHat/RPMS/compat-libs-6.2-3.i386.rpm, which is already installed.

  Maybe I should look for the file you've suggested on the 6.x CDROMs.
Well, it is indeed found there, but this is the message I get when I try
to install it:

<root@example.com:/cdrom>$ rpm -i ./RedHat/RPMS/compat-libs-5.2-2.i386.rpm
package compat-libs-6.2-3 (which is newer than compat-libs-5.2-2) is already installed

  So, should I (if it's possible) force the installation anyway, or what?

  On another track, I had written to the (commercial) suppliers of 'xvscan'
to tell them that the sources I had downloaded _four_ years ago weren't
compiling properly.  Imagine how surprised - and impressed - I was when
I had a prompt response inviting me to download the latest binary and
sources.  I thought that that was service above and beyond the call - the
way it should be, but all-too-often isn't.

  Just this.  Cheers, Dennis

--
Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka