Re: Is my DNS setup "logical"?

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:59:35AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Oh, another related question.
>
> Our domain (as assigned by our ISP) is hmv.co.jp.  Will it be possible for
> me to set up the DNS server to give back internal LAN addresses for queries
> to sites such as internal.hmv.co.jp, but pass on queries for requests for
> hmv.co.jp?

Yep.

> Right now in my reading it seems that I need a domain name (for the SOA
> records), but I don't really want one. I just want people to access local
> machines. But just to be safe I guess I should use a sub-domain of our
> assigned domain name?

sub-domain is what you want here, yes. users don't really need to know
that there is a sub domain and can just access the machines by name.
Since your name server will not be authorative about hmv.co.jp or any
other random domain, it will lookup the root.hints file for info and
get back to the client with its answer. All you have to do is point
the client machines at your new server once configured. Test it first
though :)

> I'm confused as to how to translate this into an SOA record though.
>
> I'd like to say that machine intranet.hmv.co.jp is autoritative for zone
> intranet.hmv.co.jp but I would write that as:

Say your sub domain is tk.hmv.co.jp. The name server could be called
ns.tk.hmv.co.jp. The SOA would look like this assuming your email was
poorme@example.com

@	IN	SOA	ns.tk.hmv.co.jp. poorme.hmv.co.jp. ()

Just set it all up without being too afraid of it as there are no clients
pointing at it yet and as long as you don't list any slaves or anything
you can't do too much damage. Then try various lookups and make sure it
is all working and try pointing a client at it when you're pretty sure
it is all there.

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com