Re: Apache question

Jc,

--- Jean-Christian Imbeault <jean_christian@example.com> wrote:
> My apache logs had the following words of wisdom inscribed in them
> this weekend:
>
> [Sun May 27 04:02:01 2001] [warn] child process 30070 did not exit,
> sending
> another SIGHUP
> [Sun May 27 04:02:01 2001] [warn] child process 30071 did not exit,
> sending
> another SIGHUP
> [Sun May 27 04:02:01 2001] [warn] child process 30073 did not exit,
> sending
> another SIGHUP
>
> This morning I found a nightly script that uses httpd had hung and
> become an unresponsive zombie ... the two are related but
> I don't know which caused which.
>
> How bad are these error messages? Can I do something to prevent the
> same thing from happening again?

It's not particularly serious, it just means that the processes
didn't die right away.

You might want to write your own log rotation script
for Apache which uses signal SIGUSR1 instead of SIGHUP.
A lot of the work is handled by the "apachectl" script
which comes with Apache.

Keep in mind that as long as you have child processes alive
the log file will still be written to, even if it is renamed.
So the log rotation script will have to wait for a while before
doing, e.g. compression.

Another option might be to pipe your logs through the rotatelogs
program, which will rotate things for you without having to
restart Apache.

Ahh, the joys of being a webmaster :-)

Jake