Re: ISDN and windowsME

Jean-Christian Imbeault (jean_christian@example.com) wrote:

> Yes I would say this is good, but since it's different from the win98
> machines which do work I'm thinking it's not so good. Especially since this
> would seem to put them on different subnets ...

If the gateway router was a Cisco, I wouldn't worry so much about
that, but it's probably some toy router that doesn't do
subinterfaces, so that could be bad.  Makes me wonder if there
isn't some other DHCP server on that network and that's where
it's getting the address from, but...?

> >1) other machines on its lan;
>
> It can see itself.

Only itself, I take it.  Nothing else is pingable?

> >2) Machines on the Internet

> If I drop DHCP and give it an address of 192.168.0.211 I can ping the TA at
> 192.168.0.1 but can't seem to ping other PC (If I start at 192.168.0.2)

Do you go from 192.168.0.2 all the way to the end of the range and
get no answer from any of them?

> I can't get web pages, I just get a DNS error since I haven't set a DNS
> address.

At this point you should be going by IP address, not hostname.  Try
what I mostly had in mind with "see other machines on the
Internet" was ping and/or traceroute.

So, the questions are:

With a DHCP-assigned address can you:

1) Ping anything on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet?
2) Ping anything on the /24 subnet where the DHCP address is assigned?
3) Ping anything outside, such as 203.216.1.67?

With an address manuually assigned in 192.168.0.0/24, can you:

1) Ping anything on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet?
2) Ping anything outside, such as 203.216.1.67?

Just to make sure everything else is OK, can any two other machines
ping other things:

1) On their subnet?
2) Ping anything outside, such as 203.216.1.67?

Flet's ISDN can be disconnected, so the link might not be up.
No reason not to be, since it's 24-hour flat rate, but even now
we tend to see a spike in Flet's usage at 11:00 PM - people conditioned
to Telehoudai so thoroughly that a flat-rate connection doesn't
change their usage pattern :-)

> This is really getting to me. Bill is not my friend anymore.

If you think Bill was ever your friend, I'm afraid we're going to have
to stop helping you now and just suggest you install Linux and get
on with things :-)

Jonathan