gawk and utf8

Hello.
I have a problem with gawk's split and utf8.

I have a file with a list of words in japanese separated by "," (ascii's ",") and use split to split it into an array.
But the array gets a different order than that i wrote it in the list.
need to use split because that list is a register of a record.

Any idea? how does gawk handles split?
what it does is going ok until there are more than 3 elements. if its more than 3 then the 4 goes firs to the end, then 1 2 3

like this:

before split there is a string like
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

after split there is an array like
4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3

Thankyou if you can point me to somewhere.

--
ICQ: 15605359 Bicho
                                  =^..^=