Re: c compiler for Windows?

>There is a compiler project based on gcc called mingwin which
>builds executables which link against Microsoft's C runtime
>DLL's (msvcrt), which should be available on any recent
>target machine. I think that this code is now merged into
>the gcc that comes with the cygwin project, though it may not
>be the latest. So you may just need to play with the
>compiler settings.

Can you elaborate on that? I do have a mingwm.dll under the Cygwin
installation but I don't know how to get gcc to link it into my exe.

>Another option might be to use Borland's C compiler, which is
>free (as in beer).

Did you mean a C compiler, or the C++ 5.5 compiler?

I found the C++ 5.5 compiler for download but the site is closed for the
weekend (beer tap has been truned off I guess :)

>You might run into problems with socket stuff, though, in any
>case. Windows sockets are slightly different from traditional
>Berkley sockets. You may be able to find a cross platform
>sockets library that abstracts out the differences. These
>libraries are typically targeted at Microsoft's compiler, though.

That's *exactly* what I owuld like :) I like my BSD sockets and don't even
want to start figuring out how windows goes about it . . .

>I have used the ACE C++ framework
>(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) for this, but it's
>probably overkill for your needs.

Had a quick look. Definitely overkill, plus it seems to be C++ libs and not
C.

Thanks for the help!

Jc