Re: c compiler for Windows?

Jc,

There is a compiler project based on gcc called mingwin which
builds executables which link against Microsoft's C runtime
DLL's (msvcrt), which should be available on any recent
target machine. I think that this code is now merged into
the gcc that comes with the cygwin project, though it may not
be the latest. So you may just need to play with the
compiler settings.

Another option might be to use Borland's C compiler, which is
free (as in beer).

You might run into problems with socket stuff, though, in any
case. Windows sockets are slightly different from traditional
Berkley sockets. You may be able to find a cross platform
sockets library that abstracts out the differences. These
libraries are typically targeted at Microsoft's compiler, though.
I have used the ACE C++ framework
(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) for this, but it's
probably overkill for your needs.

Jake