How to put a Samba server on an NT Domain?

In my continuing saga to get Samba going the way I want . .

Now I am trying to get the samba server to show up in the network
neighbourhood . . .

>2.add these lines to the smb.conf
>security = domain
>password server = * #this is on 2.0.6 and later
>workgroup = DOMAIN
>encrypted passwords=yes
>
>then stop samba and use smbpasswd to add the machine to the domain:
>root# smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r DOMAINPDC

The samba book I have says that to "Add a samba server to a Windows NT
Domain"

1- add the machine to the domain by using the "Windows NT Server Manager" on
the PDC
2- smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDCname
3- add to smb.conf

security = domain
password server = PDCname
workgroup = DOMAIN
domain logons = yes

Tried all that but the machine still does not show up when I browse the
domain.
If I try and access the machine using \\sambaName I get "the network path
was not found".
But if I try \\10.2.100.72 the machine comes up ...

What am I doing wrong? How can I get the samba server to show up when I
browse the domain?

Jc