Re: Samba on 7.1 not working :(

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 05:35:20AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> >In the case where you have a domain controller it is even easier to
> > >passoff the password requests to the PDC, and boom it is both automatic,
> >and more secure.
>
> Sounds like something I might want to try. How would I do this?
Well there are a couple ways to do it.
1. use the configuration options in smb.conf
security=server
password server = <NT-server>
workgroup=DOMAIN
encrypted passwords=yes

this is the easiest to implement, but not the best

2.add these lines to the smb.conf
security = domain
password server = * #this is on 2.0.6 and later
workgroup = DOMAIN
encrypted passwords=yes

then stop samba and use smbpasswd to add the machine to the domain:
root# smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r DOMAINPDC

though I have never done this it should allow samba to use the same
authentication method as any NT server in the domain which is
better than using the security=server option.

//Matt