RE: Samba

Just sharing what I learned concerning my question. I know for many of you
this was "oh-so-obvious" but just in case there are more morons out there
like me I thought I should share the knowledge ^_^

>#smbpassword shaunl
>
>where shaunl is the user I wanted to use as guest it ran like a charm.  No
>need to have an account with the same name as the machine.
>
>If you haven't tried this already, I'd give it a shot.

Ok, I tought my problem might be related but here's waht I tried with the
unexpected results:

[root@example.com samba]# smbpasswd root
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Failed to find entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root

Now ... how can it fail to find an entry for root!?

So I tried smbpasswd -a root and that worked . . .

Then I tried with a user name with no account on the Linux server.

[root@example.com samba]# smbpasswd -a jc
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
User jc does not exist in system password file (usually /etc/passwd). Cannot
add account without a valid local system user.
Failed to modify password entry for user jc

So I guess you *do* need an account with the same name on the server.

If I have this wrong someone please enlighten me!

But even this would not allow me to connect to the samba share. I would
always get a "This station is not allowed to connect" kind of message from
winblows.

And now the real catch! This is what solved all my problems. I had to set
(has many of you pointed out):

[global]
encrypt passwords = yes

From then on everything worked like a charm.