From: Jean-Christian Imbeault [mailto:jean_christian@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 4:24 PM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: RE: Cisco 2611 as a firewall?

For my own personal education, what are the advatages of having a commercial

router (Cisco or other) versus a cheap PC running Linux and acting as a
gateway?

My company has about 35 Cisco routers and I was wondering after reading
Sven's post if I could save us money on hardware and servicing contracts by
replacing them with cheap laptops runing some *nix flavour and acting a
gateway. (And by cheap I meant some 486 laptops or such. I saw 486's running

win95 in Akihabara for 1,000 each ...)

Jc

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June (TBA) 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae