RE: Cisco 2611 as a firewall?

For my own personal education, what are the advatages of having a commercial
router (Cisco or other) versus a cheap PC running Linux and acting as a
gateway?

My company has about 35 Cisco routers and I was wondering after reading
Sven's post if I could save us money on hardware and servicing contracts by
replacing them with cheap laptops runing some *nix flavour and acting a
gateway. (And by cheap I meant some 486 laptops or such. I saw 486's running
win95 in Akihabara for 1,000 each ...)

Jc