Re: XIM, kinput2 & Tk

    Jim> Won't this stop kterm calling up "kinput2 -xim", because LANG
    Jim> is not set to Japanese?

Well, actually you use LC_CTYPE for that, it seems :-(

    Jim> Also you mention "the application". It's kterm itself in this
    Jim> case.

Not likely; kterm does nothing useful unless there's at least a shell
running inside.  That's the "application" I have in mind.

    Jim> That "LANG=ja_JP.SJIS" really worries me. One should be able
    Jim> to run apps without the system trying to enforce a
    Jim> code-encapsulation.  LANG=ja_JP.SJIS is trying to stack three
    Jim> different things into the one variable.

One should, but the fact that one can't is (once again) not POSIX's
fault.  The reality is that most character sets have multiple
encodings, and few of those encodings have registered ISO designation
sequences.  The encoding hint in the locale string (or MIME charset,
but not everything supports MIME) is the only way to say "Shift JIS"
portably.