Re: XIM, kinput2 & Tk

>> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
>>     Jim> Yerk. And it still won't work. If I have LANG set to "en_US"
>>     Jim> or something like that and I want to input Japanese via XIM
>>     Jim> I'm stuffed.  Ne?
>>
>> Of course not.  You just do `LANG=ja_JP.eucJP kterm &', which is
>> enough for most practical pruposes.

You can't really tell users who want to run stuff out-of-the-box
to create wrappers and set arcane variables all the time.

>> The code I write for _you_ is
>>
>>   char JimsLocale[A_BIG_ENOUGH_NUMBER];
>>   char save_locale[A_BIG_ENOUGH_NUMBER];

[snip]

That's not going to be great for everyone wanting to wanting an
international environment either.

>>   But that's not all
>> that bad, changing IMs is a really rare event.

I know people in the Windblows world who do it all the time. I'll never
even try to convert them to **nix if they have to write wrappers, set
umpteen variables, etc. etc.1

>> My point is that POSIX locales are better than nothing, but people who
>> thought they could do better than POSIX have made that a moot point.
>> The bone I have to pick with you is your claim that POSIX is
>> responsible for the fucked up state of the world.  It's not.  POSIX
>> internationalization has never been tried.  Not in free software,
>> anyway.

I don't say it is responsible, but I do say that it appears clumsy and
inadequate.

I got into this issue because I couldn't get an IME to work with Tcl/Tk.
It turned out that the Tcl/Tk people had followed POSIX to the letter,
which means that I have to convert everything to a Japanese locale in
order to "do" Japanese input.

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of