Japanese in an RPG?

I am involved in an Open Source role-playing game project
called Adonthell (http://adonthell.linuxgames.org/). We are
getting ready to release a demo, and the issue of
internationalisation came up. I figured that this list knows
more about internationalisation than most, so here is the issue:

We have decided not to worry about the engine itself
handling anything but good old ASCII, but we do want to make
sure that translations of our dialogues and in-game text
will be possible. We use Python to handle the dialogues, so
any solution that we adopt would have to be OK with Python.

Japanese might be the most complicated language to support,
so I brought it up a lot as an example during our
discussions about languages, and we kept coming back to
Unicode. What do you guys think? Does Unicode work? I really
know very little about it, other than it is not widely used.

Are there other solutions that might make more sense (sorry
for the alliteration)?

Thanks in advance.

"No segfault, no problem."

Josh Glover