Re: Linux with Windows2000

Liton wrote:

> I used to format my HD with NTFS which my LILO
> can't seem to find but,....when I formatted my HD with
> FAT32 the LILO can read it as Win95(actually Win2000)

I don't think LILO can read either of those.  LILO is a pretty small
program.  After Linux is already running (after being booted), its file
system drivers are capable of reading and writing FAT32 partitions, and
reading some kinds of NTFS partitions (writing NTFS is still under
development, i.e. dangerous to try at present).

Since FAT32 was introduced with Windows 95 OSR2 (Windows 95 B), it is
understandable that some programs might identify the partition type by the
kind of OS that might first have created the partition, instead of just
identifying it by the partition type itself.  By the way Windows NT4 could
not access FAT32 partitions, though obviously Windows NT5 (Windows 2000)
can.

> and at the start up LILO gives me a chance to boot DOS.

Obviously LILO has to be able to read and execute partition boot records.
It only guesses that a FAT or FAT32 partition probably contained something
DOS-related.  In your case the partition contained Windows 2000 stuff.  You
can use linuxconf to edit the boot configuration, change the labels and the
selections of things that can be booted.

> Next I have another problem, I can't use my cdrom drive.
[...]
> I installed RH from the cd. After I restarted the computer
> with the cd in the drive I had to type
> "linux ide2=0x180,0x386"

Then you do need to run linuxconf and edit the boot configuration for
booting your Linux kernel.  Put the parameter "ide2=0x180,0x386" in the box
for kernel parameters or boot parameters.