Re: Yet another locale question....

>> From: Mike Fabian <mfabian@example.com>
>> jwb@example.com (Jim Breen) writes:
>>
>> > Clunk (penny drops). I have "LANG=en_US ja_JP". That was the cause.
>> > Yes, setting LANG to just "en_US" makes the message go away.
>> > pretty suspect.
>>
>> There is no locale "en_US ja_JP". You can't use multiple language
>> in LANG or any of the LC_* variables. But you can do this with
>> the LANGUAGE environment variable, which is a GNU extension. Here
>> are the relevant paragraphs from the glibc info pages:

Thanks for this. I recall seeing some multiple settings of LANG
somewhere and copied them. I have now changed it. I do want my glibc
message in English.

>> glibc> When developing the message translation functions it was felt that
>> glibc> the functionality provided by the variables above is not sufficient.

Amen.

>> glibc> Take a Swedish user who better speaks German than English, and a program
>> glibc> whose messages are output in English by default.  It should be possible
>> glibc> to specify that the first choice of language is Swedish, the second
>> glibc> German, and if this also fails to use English.  This is possible with
>> glibc> the variable `LANGUAGE'.

Exactly. And the Swedish user who also speaks Japanese, and would like
to use kinput2 from time-to-time via XIM, but still leaving his messages
in Swedish, German, then English? What does he set?

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of