Re: How much space needed for a web server install?

Stephen J Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> writes in tlug@example.com:

> Nope.  Steve Baur claims IBM Classes for Unicode require 1.5 GB of VM
> on an Alpha, or something like that.

It's not Alpha specific, roughly the same amount is required for ia32
too.  I can't find all the swap files I created that horrible day, but
I know that I had to add at least 1.5GB of swap files to a system that
already had about 1GB of virtual memory.

> GCC is a _hawg_.

It always has been.  At least the hardware is keeping up.  I remember
the bad old days of compiling NetHack and Perl on an ATT Unix PC.  The
wait was worth it though, since it usually made much faster code than
the stock C compiler.