Re: PCMCIA LAN card problem

Nikolay Elkov wrote:

> a friend of mine has a pcmcia ethernet card in his notebook(Cy`QV
> or something like that). with windoze the card works fine, but with
> linux the fastest he can get out of it is around 8K per sec. he is using
> the pcnet_cs module for it. the problem persists with kernels 2.2.14-19
> and 2.4.0-3. any idea how to get it to work?

seen the CyQ`ve brand name is Japan, even though the brand name is written
in Ro-maji (plus one punctuationji).  But that should not matter.  There are
some other Japan-only brands of cards of various sorts that do work as well
as could be expected.  Of course there are some that don't, because of
misdesigns in the cards rather than being Japan-only.  Of course, at least
half the PCMCIA cards on the market were made in Taiwan anyway, no matter
what country they're being sold in.

I think the pcnet_cs module has been updated in recent months, but don't
know if this kind of problem was one of the reasons.  8K per second is
indeed slow, regardless of whether you mean bits or bytes, and regardless of
which Ethernet protocol is involved.

Try downloading the newest PCMCIA package from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/