From: Shimpei Yamashita [mailto:shimpei@example.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2001 9:59 AM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: PCMCIA LAN card problem

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:48:51AM +0900, Nikolay Elkov wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:37:14AM -0700, Scott Stone wrote:
> >
> > doesn't surprise me if it's some no-name garbage brand, or worse yet, a
> > brand sold only in Japan that the kernel developers have probably never
> > heard of.  It's probably a cost-cut fabrication that has a bunch of
> > workarounds in its windows driver, but violates standards and as such
the
> > standard linux drivers wont deal with it.
> >
> > Just a suspicion.  Have him borrow a 3com or some other known-good type
of
> > PCMCIA ethernet card and try that, just to make sure it's the card and
not
> > his notebook's PCMCIA controller, which could also be the problem.
> >

> It`s acually CyQ`ve, don`t know how good a brand that is though. I don`t
> think it`s sold only in Japan- it`s in the default config file that comes
with
> the pcmcia-cs package. it is even labled as "Linux-ready".

Being in the default config file doesn't necessarily guarantee that the card
will work--NIC makers are particularly notorious for changing chipsets
without changing model names. Be sure to comb through the output from
dmesg(8); the PCMCIA module may have logged some problems there. Scott's
suggestion that the laptop's PCMCIA subsystem may not be playing nice is
also very possible, particularly if the laptop in question is a Toshiba,
with which the Linux pcmcia driver has historically had problems.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, May 12 13:30-
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, June (TBA) 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae