Re: DNS woes

>Have you looked at the DNS-HOWTO?
>http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html
>It has some very simple examples that may get you going.

I have. Unfortunately it doesn't explain very much in the sense that it's
says "cut and paste this". I didn't try using the files that the HOW-TO
provided just because I have no idea what they do or how to tweak them to
work with my system or what I want.

I guess I should at least give it a try, but I really do prefer knowing why
and what I'm doing instead of just blindly following instructions. That's
why I use Linux and not MS after all ^_^

>Another thing to look at is /etc/nsswitch.conf, which determines the
>order that network databases are searched.
>Your machine may be trying nis or nisplus before /etc/hosts and dns.
>Look at the "hosts" line and remove the nis entries.

The order now is: file nis nisplus dns

I assume file means /etc/hosts ... I did take out nis and nisplus just in
case and rebooted. No change.

Jc

PS Thanks for the patience! Problemed solved ... don't know why but the
server installation on RH 7.1 disabled by default all (?) xinetd services. I
had to edit /etc/rc.d/xinetd/* files and set disable = no. Seems my problem
had nothing to do with DNS after all. Duh! I feel so stoooopid ....