DNS woes

Here I go again [1] ... I've asked about this before but I just can't seem
to get things working.

The problem is that creating an ftp connection into or out of my Linux box
takes forever. As was pointed out this is because I have DNS enabled (but I
have no local DNS server running). How can I make my ftp connections not
take so long?

I know the easy answer, and something I *will* someday do, is to install a
DNS server on my machine. I've tried but installing a DNS server is not as
easy as you guys make it look. (I have ordered the DNS/BIND book and will
give installation a second try as soon as it arrives ...)

In the meantime, short of disabling DNS (using linuxconf) what is a
short-term solution?

Thanks again!

Jc

[1] If anyone hasn't guessed yet I've been "promoted" to sysadmin, hence all
the questions. The first I did was make management understand Linux was the
way to go (Considering they wanted NT I guess anything was better ...).
Linux used to be fun, now it's actually work ^_^ I now have a new-found
admiration for sysadmins of the world ...