Re: Yet another locale question....

>> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
>> >>>>> "Jim" == Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> writes:
>>
>>     Jim> I have been using Acroread 4.0
>>
>> On Linux, I assume?

Of course. I wouldn't ask a Windblows question on this list.  8-)}

>> Using Acroread is not recommended; as of a month
>> ago the Japanese version for Win9x still barfed on some non-Adobe PDFs

I occasionally use the Japanese version for Win9x when I want to print
a document with Japanese text. That version explodes very nicely when
given a .pdf in French, but then I switch to gsview.

>> 	"Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged"
>>
>> Does this only happen for that file, and not for others?

Hmmm. It does it on all files, now.....

>> AFAIK there
>> is no setlocale() wrapper in the Postscript language, and Postscript
>> uses its own implementation of encodings because the C locale
>> functions are (believe it or not) too high-level.
>>
>> So I suspect it doesn't matter; it's probably only looking for its
>> message catalogs.

I think you're right.

>> Do you have LANG set?  Does it at least tell you what locale it's
>> trying to set?

Clunk (penny drops). I have "LANG=en_US ja_JP". That was the cause.
Yes, setting LANG to just "en_US" makes the message go away.

Makes you wonder what it's trying to do. Was it about to switch all
messages to Japanese....?  Also, that "locale not supported by C
library" message is still pretty suspect.

>>   Progress in making Japanese locales work has been
>> glacial.

Amen, brother, amen.

--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of