Yet another locale question....

>>>>> "Jim" == Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> writes:

    Jim> I have been using Acroread 4.0

On Linux, I assume?  Using Acroread is not recommended; as of a month
ago the Japanese version for Win9x still barfed on some non-Adobe PDFs
(locking up LoseME, which seems to be the worst MS OS for stability
since DOS 2.0).

	"Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged"

Does this only happen for that file, and not for others?  AFAIK there
is no setlocale() wrapper in the Postscript language, and Postscript
uses its own implementation of encodings because the C locale
functions are (believe it or not) too high-level.

So I suspect it doesn't matter; it's probably only looking for its
message catalogs.

Do you have LANG set?  Does it at least tell you what locale it's
trying to set?

    Jim> Should I or can I have a different C library for a Japanese
    Jim> locale?

Not in glibc.  You should have the Japanese locale package installed.
This may not help.  Progress in making Japanese locales work has been
glacial.