Re: DNS question, maybe

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 06:49:07AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I think I understand what you mean ... make all the PCs use the Linux box as
> primary DNS, make the Linux box point to my provider for anything it doesn't
> know.

Yes.

> Is that right? And if so could someone point me to a nice, simple doc on how
> to do this (and yes I'll do a quick search for a HOW-TO on DNS).

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html is a good starting
point.  And as Jonathan (I think it was) was pointing out
recently, the O'Reilly DNS and BIND book is an excellent
reference.

> >But if you want to keep using the provider directly for DNS,
> >you could add 10.0.1.88 to the 'hosts' file on *each* window
> >machine:
>
> Each machine!? Yuckie yuck yuck!!

True, but not as bad as it sounds.  For an (embarrassingly)
long time, we kept a master hosts file on a shared drive, and
the same batch file that would set the client PC clocks on
booting would also copy over the master 'hosts' and 'lmhosts'
files.

Jim Tittsler
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/
Tokyo PC Users Group  news://news.tokyopc.org/