Re: Firewall setting

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 05:39:45PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Traditional threaded summaries are pretty bogus for large trees
> anyway, since they insist on displaying a depth-first traversal.  It's
> scandalous we don't have anything better yet, trn came out in like 1985?

Last time I looked, trn 4.0 still hasn't been released yet. Not that that's
prevented me from using "private" test versions for eight years or so, until
the lack of Japanese support forced me to move to slrn. Also as of the last
time I looked, trn4 still had the best thread display UI of any news/mail
reader that I knew of, including slrn, mutt, and gnus--gnus comes the
closest, but its thread display takes up too much screen real estate compared
to trn's.

Oh, and as for large threads, I use trn to read a big internal group at my
alma mater whose charter forbids new threads--the entire newsgroup is a single
discussion thread of about 70,000 messages (and strictly increasing--the
group is set to never expire). It's pretty manageable, although only after you
wait half of forever for the summary to be loaded in. So you're right,
Reference: based threading need not be slow.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/