Re: dchp server question

[Jonathan Q <jq@example.com>] wrote

>I don't know jack about dhcp, so please factor that in when
>evaluating my answer  :-)  However:

Same for me so your answer is still appreciated!

>IN A win2k500.jc.com  is a reference to a DNS A record.

Aha!

>Now, we look down here and see:
>
> > PS Here's my dhcpd.conf file:
>
> > option domain-name-servers 203.216.70.70;
>
>GOL's nameservers are not authoritative for gol.com, yet
>you're telling your dhcpd that ns03.nds.gol.com is the
>nameserver to talk to.  However, the authoritative nameservers
>for jc.com are:

I think I understand, but just for my personal education what is an
"authoritative nameserver"?

>You're using a domain name that doesn't belong to you,
>and a nameserver that is not authoritative for that domain.
>Unintentional, I'm sure, but don't do that :-)

Very unintentional ... I didn't think that the domain I gave dhcpd was
actually used for anything .... I'll take it out right now.

>If you eliminate those bogons (which you should do anyway)
>and it still doesn't work, then you know you have a problem
>with your dhcpd config.

Bogons gone, said erro gone too! What a coincidence. But now I get:

192.168.0.2: resolver failed.

I guess this is a reference to being unable to resolve a DNS query for the
192.168.0.2 ip? Is this important? Do I need to install some sort of local
DNS server to fix this? (or maybe just a local DNS file?)

Thnaks for your help so far!

Jc