iso-2022-jp mails in Red Hat 7.1

Anybody else not able to read iso-2022-jp mail in Red Hat 7.1
(or Wolverine, the public beta before it)?  Used to work fine
in mutt, but not now.  Balsa is also a no-go (never tried it
before, so maybe it never worked, though?).  Pine will display
it OK, but perhaps Pine handles that differently or completely
internally?

This is new borkage since RH 7.0 (everything was fine there
WRT Japanese reading).  To be sure I wasnt missing anything
in the install, I did a fresh install of it, with ALL packages
and ALL languages installed (a bit large, it was :-) and
still nothing.

What do you think?  Borked iso-2022-jp?

Jonathan