Re: tar and directory information

>>> Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:03:45 +0900 の刻に 「akamine」、すなわち
>>> akamine@example.com(Hector Akamine) 氏曰く

akamine> Suppose I use tar to archive files in a directory /home/work/data:

akamine> tar -zcvf data.tgz /home/work/data

akamine> the reference to the directory /home/work/data is preserved, meaning
akamine> that when I use tar -zxvf to restore the files in another directory, tar
akamine> creates a directory /home/work/data in the current directory and puts
akamine> the files in it. I want this not to happen (just to put the files and
akamine> directories in the current directory). How can I do this?

akamine> Thanks in advance

use -C or --directory option
Consult man tar

--