Re: mutt and Japanese

Joss Winn wrote:-

> I think I now have good Japanese support in a SUSE 7.1PPC default Mutt.
>
> I went to download the sources via kondara.org/~g/mutt-e.html
>
> Just before I was about to build and patch, I read mutt-1.3.17i-ja0/mutt-ja.rc
> and found some settings in there.  I applied them to my .muttrc and
> after commenting out the lines that produced errors, I now have a
> working Mutt with Japanese support.  Well, at least my tests seem
> OK.  I can send and receive in Japanese.  Subject headings are in
> Japanese in the Mutt index and sending to Netscape Messenger seems
> to work OK, too.  I use a kterm, cannaserver, kinput2 and run Mutt with
> the LANG=ja_JP command in an English environment.
>
> I'd like to test it one last time. Can you read this?
>
> ?$BFI$a$^$9$+
>
> I am using the default SUSE 7.1 PPC with the default Mutt 1.3.12i-0.
> I have no idea whether Japanse support was built into this
> specifically.

That's curious.  So what's going on?  If you can use the default Mutt with
some changes to your .muttrc file (sounds cool, I'm about to try it), why
are there patches to 1.3.17i going around?  What do they add?  Why aren't
the Japanese developers getting their stuff put in the main distribution?
I found another page with Japanese documentation.  I don't understand
why these things float about without getting into the main code base.

Neil.