(mouse makes) Keyboard lockup

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Jim Breen wrote:

> >> The problem is that when I boot, everything seems fine until I get to
> >> the initial login prompt, and at that stage the keyboard seems to be
> >> disconnected. I have to do a power-cycle to get it going again.
>
> Appears to be fixed. The change I made was to remove "gpm" from the
> startup. Probably an IRQ conflict. (I wish they wouldn't start it by
> default. I never use it, and this is not the first time it's caused me a
> problem.)
>
> Jim

hello, people on tlug,

sorry to get so late to reading your messages -- so this may be of
no relevance now -- but - i had a similar "keyboard lockup problem";

i finally had decided to upgrade :) and to switch to debian, too;
it is 2.2r2 (btw i was nicely surprised how japanese is supported
in a non-japanese distribution; i needed NOTHING BUT packages from the
distribution to a for-me-sufficient japanese support (both i and o));

as to the keyboard lockup: yes, gpm was the cause (but it took me some
time (compiling this and that kernel etc, with no effect) to reveal this;
having read tlug messages could have saved me from
a good deal of trouble :-))

the surprising thing is, that the keyboard works until shutdown
(even pressing ctrl-alt-del after halt is no problem) but it stops
working immediately after that (so i can't tell LILO what i wanna boot);
i don't understand how this can happen;

one more thing to add: it was not only gpm, that caused the problem;
also running X led to the keyboard lockup; but running X without a mouse
(ie cheating in XF86Config about the device, not to be able to use
the mouse at all) didn't led to it;

finnaly i found out, that meanwhile i changed for some reason
the mouse protocol from PS/2 to IMPS/2; i changed it back to PS/2
and ... the problem disappeared!

now, the only problem is, that my 3rd mouse button was nicely supported
with IMPS/2 but doesn't work with the PS/2 mouse protocol;
but i don't mind it that much, as i am quite happy with the "3rd
button emulation(tm)" (though i can't do those sophisticated things
as pressing the left button while dragging something with the middle one
etc., as the users manual of my window manager suggests; hope i can live
without that :)

greetings to all from

		martin