Re: Postgres 7.1?

Darren Cook wrote:

> > > On Saturday I was skimming a magazine talking about the new features in
> > > the newly released postgres 7.1. It looked interesting, but was in
> > > Japanese.
>
> Jim gave me:
> > http://appwatch.zdnet.com/Linux/App/412/B/1/history.html
>
> Then I found the new manual:
>  http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/
>
> (the "postgres" link includes the other manuals).
>
> > Dont know much, but we tried the beta version and it was significantly
> > faster than any of the previous versions.
>
> Any stability problems?

No, looks pretty stable. We did have a few problems with importing data. It
was a 7.0.3 dump with some Japanese data and 7.1b kept failing on some
characters.

> > Any news on what Oracle has been upto?
>
> I wonder how concerned about Postgres they are, now that it is showing
> better performance than Oracle, and it no longer has a field character
> limit (Oracle still has a 4Kb limit?).
>
> Darren

Its much friendlier than Oracle too. Still havent managed to find a straight
way to install Oracle while Postgres is a breeze. SQLPlus sucks compared to
psql and Oracle takes up hundreds of MB with an empty database when Postgres
just needs around 50MB.

Sajjad