Re: Postgres 7.1?

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 07:13:56PM +0900, A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:
> Darren Cook wrote:
>
> > On Saturday I was skimming a magazine talking about the new features in
> > the newly released postgres 7.1. It looked interesting, but was in
> > Japanese.
> >
> > The postgres site however knows nothing about it. Has anyone seen any
> > articles in English on the new release, or know the release date?
> >
> > Darren
>
> Dont know much, but we tried the beta version and it was significantly
> faster than any of the previous versions.

The release date is supposedly any day now... Here is the top part of the
feature list. So as you can see, this release is looking pretty sweet!

Tom.

                                Release 7.1

Release 7.1  (2001-??-??)

This release focuses on removing limitations that have existed in the
PostgreSQL code for many years.

Major changes in this release:

        Write-ahead Log (WAL) - To maintain database consistency in case
of an operating system crash, previous releases of PostgreSQL have
forced all data modifications to disk before each transaction commit.
With WAL, only one log file must be flushed to disk, greatly improving
performance.  If you have been using -F in previous releases to disable
disk flushes, you may want to consider discontinuing its use.

        TOAST - Previous releases had a compiled-in row length limit,
typically 8k - 32k. This limit made storage of long text fields
difficult.  With TOAST, long rows of any length can be stored with good
performance.

        Outer Joins - We now support outer joins.  The UNION/NOT IN
workaround for outer joins is no longer required.  We use the SQL92
outer join syntax.

        Function Manager - The previous C function manager did not handle
NULLs properly, nor did it support 64-bit CPU's (Alpha).  The new function
manager does.  You can continue using your old custom functions, but you may
want to rewrite them in the future to use the new function manager call
interface.

        Complex Queries - A large number of complex queries that were
unsupported in previous releases now work.  Many combinations of views,
aggregates, UNION, LIMIT, cursors, subqueries, and inherited tables
now work properly. Inherited tables are now accessed by default.
Subqueries in FROM are now supported.

--
Thomas O'Dowd                   Noop-de-Noop!
tom@example.com                  http://www.nooper.com