Re: How to create kanji TIFFs?

>> From: ulrike@example.com
>> Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:52:20 +0900
>>
>> Thanks a lot for all the replies. I first tried this strategy since it seemed to
>> be the least complicated for my simple mind:

That's why I like it  8-)}

>> > On ftp://ftp.cc.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/00INDEX.html is a Perl
>> > program written by Jeffrey Friedl & enhanced by William Maton called
>> > txt2gif/xtxt2gif It creates nice .gif files in various colours,
>> > orientation, trtansparencies, etc. You feed it Japanese in an EUC-coded
>> > file. It's set tu use 26x26 snf files as fonts, but you can tweak it to
>> > do any size you like. To get tiffs from it, pass the result through
>> > giftopnm and pnmtotiff.
>>
>> The gif-production part works fine, it displays nicely in Netscape, but if I
>> send the result through giftopnm I get:
>>
>> 	giftopnm: EOF / read error on image data
>>
>> Although there is no problem when I try the same with gifs produced in some
>> other way. Any hints what might be the problem? In the meantime I will check out
>> the other strategies ...

Damn, I forgot that - there's a bug in the Perl, and while forgiving
software doesn't mind, giftopnm is strict.

Two solutions come to mind:

(a) if you are only doing a few images, load up the gif in xv and save
it back on top of itself. xv will fix it.

(b) longer term, pass the gif through another utility like gif2png,
then do the pngtopnm/pnmtotiff chain. You may have to grab gif2png from
somewhere, and also install libpng, although I think it's fairly
standard these days. You need to see a parameter to tell gif2png to
ignore errors.

HTH

Jim
--
Jim Breen  [jwb@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Visiting Professor, Institute for the Study of Languages and Cultures of