Re: How to automate email retrieval

shimpei@example.com wrote:

> Once you get fetchmail to work, you need to make it run automatically.
> fetchmail isn't capable of running itself as a daemon (background process),
> so you need to tell the "cron" daemon to invoke it every so often.
> To find out how, do

Hmm. At least my version of fetchmail (5.4.0) can run as a daemon ^_^

From fetchmail(1):

The fetchmail utitity can be run in daemon mode to repeatedly poll one or
more systems at a specified interval.

In your .fetchmailrc this looks like this:

set daemon 60 # poll every 60 seconds
set logfile /home/myhome/log/fetchmail.log # log to logfile

[or]

set daemon 60 # poll every 60 seconds
set syslog # log to syslog

Oh, and if your provider supports it you should use the ssl option.
If you don't know just try it, either it works or it does not work. ^_-

-- Tobias