Mozilla 0.8 and Japanese input

Hi,

<delurk>

A long-time lurker writes:

as a former and hopefully sometime future resident of Tokyo[*], and as a
current, very intensive user of Linux I've been reading the TLUG list for
a couple of years (and very informative it's been too).

</delurk>

And my question is:

Can anyone tell me how to get Japanese input working with the 0.x versions
of Mozilla?

I have canna + kinput2 running quite happily with kterm under SuSE-Linux,
and Mozilla 0.8 working with the Japanese language extensions [1] (menus
etc. in Japanese). Setting LANG to ja, ja_JP etc. (as suggested
here: http://www.tlug.gr.jp/ML/0008/msg00146.html )
doesn't have any effect. I vaguely recall having no problems with an
earlier Mozilla build (M14/15??), but unfortunately have forgotten what
environment I was using at the time.

A fairly extensive web-search failed to provide any answers, not even on
the Japanese mozilla page ( http://www.mozilla.gr.jp ) (although I may
have been looking in all the wrong places...)

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Ian Barwick
ian@example.com (-> personal mail)