Re: RH7J and Gnome start menu and configuration vs. 800x600 screen

Shimpei Yamashita replied to me:
> > Again, anyone who can, please help.  Some of the machines where I installed
> > Red Hat 7J have tiny little 800x600 LCD screens.  When I open menus from
> > Gnome's start button, several of the menus roll of the bottom and I can't
> > move the cursor to some of the entries.  Furthermore, even some of the Gnome
> > configuration tools open up windows that don't fit on the screen, so the
> > "OK" and "Cancel" buttons are off the screen at the bottom and the
> > upper-right X button for closing is off the screen at the upper right.
> >
> > In the Gnome settings tool, I set the default font to fixed (mnkaname) size
> > 11, but Gnome itself didn't even respect my wish.  It still uses its own
> > font.
>
> I remember having this problem before, although everything fits fine on my
> 800x600 display now with Kondara 2000. Try playing with your .gtkrc or the
> system default gtkrc. The one that comes with Kondara 2000 looks something
> like this:
>
> # $(datadir)/gtkrc.ja
[...]

I can't find .gtkrc, gtkrc, or gtkrc.ja anywhere, and don't seem to have an
rpm for Kondara though I assume a search on the net wouldn't be too hard for
the latter.  Is Kondara a window manager, more flexible on this problem than
Sawfish?

-- Norman Diamond