RH7J and Gnome start menu and configuration vs. 800x600 screen

Again, anyone who can, please help.  Some of the machines where I installed
Red Hat 7J have tiny little 800x600 LCD screens.  When I open menus from
Gnome's start button, several of the menus roll of the bottom and I can't
move the cursor to some of the entries.  Furthermore, even some of the Gnome
configuration tools open up windows that don't fit on the screen, so the
"OK" and "Cancel" buttons are off the screen at the bottom and the
upper-right X button for closing is off the screen at the upper right.

In the Gnome settings tool, I set the default font to fixed (mnkaname) size
11, but Gnome itself didn't even respect my wish.  It still uses its own
font.

Does anyone know how to make Gnome and Sawfish and some other tools use a
smaller font so that their windows and menus will fit on the screen?

Does anyone know how to make menus continue on the right and/or scroll
and/or anything so that every entry can be reached and clicked?

(By the way, what is that Gnome footprint called?  I hate calling it "start"
but didn't know what other word to use to footprint this discussion.)

Yours sincerely,
Norman Diamond