Italian Input?

    Shigeo> Does anyone know how to handle Italian characters? Do I
    Shigeo> have to install italian fonts? I appreciate any comments
    Shigeo> and suggestions.

Italian is in the "Western European" family and will be handled
appropriately by ISO8859-1 fonts (ie, the factory default in just
about everything).

For input in Emacs use Quail: C-x C-m C-\ "atin-1-prefix"RET (or
latin-1-postfix).  There are some other alternative (x-iso8859.el or
something like that) but Quail is fine for this.