Re: Three questions

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:54:22PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Ie, I find about 150MB comfortable, at least on a fully-loaded Debian
> system.  (Some idjit put the Samba unicode tables in /etc.  that's
> just the stupidest thing I know about.)

*blink*

Those unicode tables aren't used by anything prior to init going multiuser,
yes?  If so, that's horrible design.

> glibc is a hawg.

cd glibc-2.2.1
mkdir obj
cd obj
../configure --prefix=/usr --enable-omitfp --enable-profile=no --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads
make

(wait a couple of hours -- then rpcgen dumps core)

glibc is huge because they insist that debug symbols be included in the shared
library unless you leave out the frame pointer at config time, which of course
results in a broken binary with released versions of binutils and gcc ...
subject for a future rant, I think.

> Whassis I hear about Oracle recommending 256MB RAM and requiring
> 1-1.5GB of VM, then?  :-)

'cause they need 1.75GB of RAM? ;)

Seriously, the VM mechanism ain't too efficient.  If you need that much
swap, you should probably reevaluate the amount of physical RAM in the box.
I wouldn't run a production database box with less than a gigabyte.

-- Chris