Re: Three questions

Hello Jim, G'day to you too.

Jim Breen wrote:

> G'day all,
>
> A few questions for the experts:

Firstly, im no expert. just happen to have bought a few notebooks while ive
been here.

> (a) I have decided to bite the bullet and get a new notebook here. I've
> been checking out the ones at Akihabara, and Laox's place that
> specializes in stuff for foreigners has "Western" Toshibas, etc. at
> bearable prices, albeit higher that I'd pay in Australia for the same
> gear.
>
>         Q: Does anyone have any suggestions of better places to try?
>            I really want a non-Japanese keyboard.

Sofmap is good for used stuff. The one I got didnt look used in any way. You
can also try the smaller shops and Tsukumono for brand new systems.

 I dont think its worth paying the extra money and limiting your choices, by
going for an English keyboard notebook. I just use the Japanese one as an
English keyboard and everything works fine.

I guess im too used to working on J keyboards so if you can find a
replacement, you might want to change the keyboard with an English model's.

> (b)     Q: If I get a system with a 10Gb HDD, what is a good partitioning
> strategy? I want to have a usable Windows (probably 98) partition, and I
> expect I'd need to give it about 2G. What would be appropriate for the
> rest? If it's a 128Mb system, what is the optimal swap size?

Heres me with 12GB:

256 Swap
2G for Windoze (just the games)
500MB /
200MB /var
300MB /tmp
2G /usr
The Rest /home

> (c) I think I'll start with RH6.2, mainly because I am most used to RH's
> funny little ways, and it's the one most used at Monash. I don't really
> want to put in the J version unless it's the only way to get kterm, etc.
> working.
>
>         Q: where is a good place to obtain the CDs of RH6.2 (non-J) around
>         here?

Plathome has box sets (4,5,6 floor, next to Laox Computer) and so does
T-Zone. I can send you a 'pirated' copy if you want. Just let me know.

Dont forget to use Reiserfs if you can. Really useful when the battery
suddenly runs out.

Regards,

A.Sajjad Zaidi