Re: BOOTP install on SS20

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 10:46:30AM -0600, Tod McQuillin wrote:

> don't believe the SS20 supports getting its IP address via DHCP (this
> would be a function of the open boot prom, and I don't think DHCP protocol
> support was included in the SS20 OBP).

Sun boxes boot thusly:

* send a RARP request for its IP address,
* send a TFTP request to the responding server for its second-stage boot
  program

What happens next depends on the second-stage.  Solaris does bootparam
request, *BSD does bootp/dhcp, and God only knows what linux does these
days (I don't recommend running linux on sparc boxes -- the code and
support is too bloody dodgy).  I seem to recall that the second-stage bit
is actually the linux kernel, but it's been about three years since I tried.

-- Chris