BOOTP install on SS20

Having trouble installing via network. In Debian, I've managed getting the
package DHCP[1] up and running, and listening to my NIC. Now, trying to get
my Sparc station 20 to boot from it has been difficult. From the "ok" prompt
I enter the following producing these errors:

boot net:
    lost carrier (transceiver cable problem?)
    cable problem or twisted pair hub link-test disabled

(NOTE: I tried booth a cross cable and a straight cable, and I don't have a
hub)

boot net-tpe:
    time out waiting for ARP/RARP packet

boot net-aui:
    Lost carrier (transceiver cable problem?)
    ARP/RARP send failed. Check Ethernet cable and transceiver

boot disk:
    bad magic number in disk label
    can't open disk label package

(I didn't know my Hard disk liked mushrooms)

Any help would be appreciated
Any help, in person, would be appreciated in beer!

--jack

[1] It was recommended to me by other TLUG members to use BOOTP. In Debian,
the package BOOTP's description says something like "this package isn't
being maintained upstream, so use the package DHCP instead".