Re: at command

Yong-Ming,

The at command is used mainly to run a once off job and not for
something that is more regular. For more regular events use
cron.

Have a look at

$ man 5 crontab

which will tell you how to use the crontab file.

If you want to add a weekly reboot, you might do this.

$ crontab -e
(this will start an editor for you so you can add cron entries)
(add the following lines)
# reboot on Sunday morning at 1am
0 1 * * 0 /root/systemdownscript
(save and exit your editor)

(now to list your entries, use the crontab command again with list mode)
$ crontab -l
# reboot on Sunday morning at 1am
0 1 * * 0 /root/systemdownscript

Any output from the script will be emailed to the user with the crontab
entry which should probably be root in this case.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tom.

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 04:04:44PM +0900, Yong-Ming P.Hua wrote:
> Hi,
>     It is Yong-Ming asking for help about 'at' command.
> As far as I know, I have been able to use 'at' command all right in a form like
> below,
>    at 5am 1 July -f  /root/systemdownscript(my script with x mode).
> But I want to use 'at' command regularly on a specific day. I checked man.
> Doesn't seem to have any comment on the use of week of the day, like
>   at 5am Sunday ...
> Is the syntax all right? If not, give me the right one please? Sorry this is a
> thing I have gotta check by myself. But somehow I have an error message coming
> back every time I do it.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Yong-Ming
>
> --
> FROM THE OFFICE OF YONG-MING HUA(YMH CAL LABORATORY)
> yhua@example.com, root@example.com
> Office Tel:(Japan)(0)-42-739-8132  Fax:(Japan)(0)-42-739-8847
> A Word from YMH CAL LAB : Help those with Terminal Illness
> They need your love. http://www.kelvin.lit.tamagawa.ac.jp

> Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, January 20 13:30- LinuxProbe Hall
> Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, February 16 19:30- Tengu Tokyo Eki Mae

Thomas O'Dowd                   Have you had your noop today?
tom@example.com                  http://www.nooper.com