Re: debian i586?

ON Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 11:54:41PM +0900 BOTi wrote...

    >> I finally decided to install debian. So far I have only found
    >> debian compiled for i386, but not any higher. Is there a port
    >> for i586 or i686

libc now comes in -586 and -686 optimized versions in woody.

    >> somwere, like khmm.. Mandrake.

Now _there's_ a good reason _not_ to do something.  If Mandrake does
it, it's got to be harmful.  Do a grep in the archives for "help me",
and see how often the post mentions "Mandrake".  :-P  Far too often
for my taste, given its low penetration.

    >> I don't feel like recompiling the half distro, somebody must
    >> have done this already.

Why not recompile only your compute-bound apps, and use the time saved
to study up on what optimization is, and what it can and can't do?

Oops, I bet you don't know which of your apps _are_ compute-bound.
Well, study that first.